Hi Loves, welcome back to my blog. Today’s post is a long awaited one which I hope will answer most of your questions about how I grow and care for my Natural Hair.
Background on My Hair: I decided to go natural in 2014. My last relaxer was in September 2014, which was when I started transitioning to natural hair (stopped putting relaxer on my hair and growing out my natural hair). I transitioned for 20 months, then I cut off the relaxed ends in May 2016, making it a total of 28 months now (2 years and 4 months) since I started my Natural Hair Journey.
My Hair Type & Length: My hair type is 4c; which means it is tightly coiled with little curl definition. Presently, this is my hair length
How I care For My Hair: Wash day is the most important day in my hair care routine. I always make sure to wash my hair every weekend (usually Friday nights). At times, I am busy and don’t have time to wash my hair, I will have to wait till the following weekend. By wash day my hair is usually dirty and ready to be cleansed.
N.B.: All products reviews, blog posts and videos mentioned, are linked below. You can also check out my previous post on My Natural Hair Products & Routine here
1. CLEANSE: I shampoo my hair with a clarifying shampoo once a month and I co-wash (wash with a conditioner) every other week. There are some weeks I really need to shampoo before the clarifying day, then I use a moisturising shampoo.
PRODUCTS I USE / RECOMMEND
- Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo (clarifying shampoo). Review here
- DIY African Black Soap Shampoo (clarifying shampoo). How to here
- Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Restore Shampoo (moisturising shampoo). Review here
- Tresemme Botanique Conditioner (to co-wash). Review here
I ALWAYS pre-poo my hair before using a clarifying shampoo which is once a month. Detailed blog post with video on how I pre-poo my natural hair here.
2. DETANGLE: to be honest, natural hair is STUBBORN and hard to manage. This is the most tasking and at times tiring or frustrating but NECESSARY. It simply means separating or getting rid of all the knots and tangles. I always detangle my hair in the shower with a generous amount of conditioner using my hands first, then a wide tooth comb. I make sure to use a good conditioner or deep conditioner with great slip (meaning after applying it to my hair, it makes sliding my hands or comb through it easier). Check out how I detangle my hair video below.
PRODUCTS I USE / RECOMMEND
- Tresemme Botanique Conditioner. Review here
- Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner
3. DEEP CONDITION: I deep condition my hair EVERY WEEK. This is VERY IMPORTANT. It provides hair with necessary nourishments it needs to retain length, more manageable, more pliable and avoid breakage. There are a lot of good deep conditioners on the market and if you are like me that enjoy mixing things, check out my DIY deep conditioner posts and videos.
Every 6 weeks or 3 months, as need be, I do a protein treatment on my hair. I use the ORS hair mayonnaise, protein pack or my DIY Protein Hair Mask, post & video here
- Shea Moisture deep conditioners
- Cantu Shea Butter deep treatment masque
4. MOISTURISE: To moisturise my hair, I use the LCO, LOC or LO METHOD. These simply means the order in which you will apply products when moisturising your hair.
- LCO means Liquid Cream Oil,
- LOC means Liquid Oil Cream,
- LO means Liquid Oil.
All these methods work fine, it depends on what works best for you or your preference. The LOC method works best in moisturising my hair.
For my LIQUID, I use the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-in Conditioner, review here
For , to seal in all the moisture applied and keep my hair moisturised for longer without feeling dry, I use my Olive oil, Almond Oil or my DIY Whipped Shea Butter, as one single oil like coconut oil, olive oil, JBCO oil does not do a good job of sealing in the moisture I applied to my hair, I need something thick and a combination of oils. Check out my DIY Whipped Shea Butter Post & Video here.
For CREAM/STYLER, I use the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Check out how to moisturise Natural Hair Detailed Post & Video here
OTHER PRODUCTS RECOMMENDATION
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioner
- Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream
5. STYLE: After applying my products, I then braid, twist on corn row my hair, which I take down the next day or couple of days later (on Monday) to get my curl definition and style. At times I do wash n go with eco-Styler gel. Videos below
That is all I do, no special vitamin or product.
My wash process including styling takes an average of 1 – 2 hours because I have to leave the deep conditioner or pre-poo in for at least 30 minutes.
I work in sections when washing, detangling or styling my hair. This makes it easier.
I place my hair in desired styles throughout the week without adding any product. I only add Whipped Shea Butter and edge control to my edges, to keep it moisturised and laid. I use
- Eco-styler Gel or
- Shea Moisture JBCO Edge Treatment.
6. TRIM: I’ve only trimmed my hair once after the big chop (cutting off the relaxed ends). How I trim my hair post here.
7. PROTECTIVE STYLE: On my lazy days or for style switch up, I put my hair in protective styles such as corn rows, braids, crochet braids, and head wraps
I hope this post is detailed enough and answer all your questions. Please check out all the links to posts or videos below for more detail. If you have more question, please leave it in theCOMMENT SECTION below, LIKE, and SHARE my post. Follow my blog via BLOGLOVIN or subscribe via E-MAIL and check out my Youtube Channel.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
- DIY Moisturising Deep Conditioner/Hair Mask: http://bit.ly/2jKu2cL
- Protein Treatment & DIY Protein Hair Mask: http://bit.ly/2jfVoEp
- How to Cleanse/Wash Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2lSU9Qm
- How to Detangle Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2ljuY4I
- How to Moisturise Dry Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2jjr6Au
For business inquiries, sponsorship or reviews, please email me: email@example.com
Let’s be Friends :
FTC DISCLAIMER : This is not a sponsored post.
Shop My Favourite Natural Hair Products & Oils
- Dudu Osun as Shampoo: http://amzn.to/2nOj2JT
- Tresemme Botanique Shampoo: http://amzn.to/2oCT0NY
- Tresemme Botanique Conditioner: http://amzn.to/2oIkXBc
- Shea Moisture JBCO Shampoo: http://amzn.to/2oIsY99
- Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-in Conditioner: http://amzn.to/2o9TbQj
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in: http://amzn.to/2m3Q214
- Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream: http://amzn.to/2tZlod9
- Cantu Shea Butter Twist & Lock Gel: http://amzn.to/2ujdt9R
- Cantu Shea Butter Moisturising Curl Activator Cream: http://amzn.to/2snkncz
- Eco-styler Gel: http://amzn.to/2nXQSOa
- Raw Shea Butter: http://amzn.to/2mlkJ1K
- Coconut Oil: http://amzn.to/2lBJRmn
- Olive Oil: http://amzn.to/2mtq5XL
- Avocado Oil: http://amzn.to/2lS6kwy
- Almond Oil: http://amzn.to/2mlmwDY
- Tea Tree Oil: http://amzn.to/2lDL4b9
- Peppermint Oil: http://amzn.to/2lhPQdK