Morning Loves, welcome back to my blog. I recently shared with you guys how I wash my hair, in which I said I have an average of 4 wash days in a month;
- 1 shampoo day, when I use a clarifying shampoo and
- 3 co-washes.
Today, I will be sharing with you in detail HOW I COWASH & DETANGLE MY 4C HAIR.
Cowash simply means conditioner washing which is washing or cleansing natural hair with a conditioner.
Benefits of Cowashing:
- Cowashing is great because it cleanses hair without stripping its moisture and oils like regular shampoo will do especially sulphate-containing shampoo.
- You can cowash hair more regularly more than you would a shampoo.
- It softens hair making detangling very easy and hair more manageable
- It keeps scalp moisturised
- It may help colour last longer (for colour treated hair) since you are not stripping it with consistent shampoo
- It can help define curls
- You may not need to deep condition hair afterwards, especially if busy, as cowash provides hair with some moisture; not as much as a deep conditioner would though.
What to Cowash & Detangle with. There are a lot of conditioners made specifically for cleansing/cowashing or detangling natural hair. What is important when buying a conditioner for cowash is
- Does not contain sulphur (dries hair out) or silicone(forms a coat over hair making it difficult for moisturise to penetrate hair)
- Look for all the good stuff you want in your hair; water, coconut, aloe vera, glycerine, honey, the good oils, e.t.c.
- It has GREAT SLIP, meaning when applied to hair, it softens and melts the tangles making fingers or comb glide through easily.
I cowash & detangle my hair with the Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Restore Conditioner. It is a very moisturising conditioner with great slip and it also smells nice. Please check full review here.
OTHER PRODUCTS RECOMMENDATION
- As I Am Coconut Co-wash
- Eden’s Body Cowash
- Shea Moisture rinse out Conditioners
- Shea Moisture African Black Soap purification masque
- Cantu Shea Butter Conditioner
My Cowash & Detangling Routine
- I wet my hair with warm water to soften and melt the dirts and products build up from the previous week
- I put my hair in four sections
- I take a subsection of hair and I apply a generous amount of conditioner
- I rub it through my hair making sure it is saturated from roots to tips
- I rub my scalp with the balls of my fingers in a circular motion, cleaning and massaging it at the same time
- I finger detangle my hair by separating it and gliding my fingers throught it carefully
- Then, I use a wide tooth comb (shower comb) to further detangle. Some people skip this step
- I twirl that section and clip it away, then move on to the next section.
- Once I’m done with all my hair, I rinse the conditioner out with cold water (if I wont be deep conditioning to seal in the little moisture got from the conditioner) OR warm water (if I will be deep conditioning to open up the hair cuticles), rubbing my scalp and running my fingers through my hair.
- Then I dry my hair with cotton t-shirt and move on to moisturising and styling.
- Avoid silicone-containing conditioners
- Use generous amount of conditioner (very important)
- Finger detangle first and use wide tooth comb to detangle
- Be gentle when detangling hair
- Use hair catchers to avoid clogging the shower
- Moisturise, seal and style hair immediately to avoid tangling again
I hope you enjoy today’s post. Do you cowash your hair? What do you cowash with? How do you cowash and how often? Please COMMENT below, LIKE, SHARE & SUBSCRIBE to my blog via E-MAIL.Follow my blog via BLOGLOVIN or subscribe via E-MAIL and check out my Youtube Channel.
- How to Wash/Cleanse Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2lSU9Qm
- Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Restore Conditioner Review: http://bit.ly/2jB8zAG
- How I grow & Care For My Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2lkdlWr
- DIY Deep Conditioner & Deep Conditioning Routine: http://bit.ly/2kcypdy
- How to Moisturise Dry Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2jjr6Au
Shop My Hair Growth Oils:
- Raw Shea Butter: http://amzn.to/2mlkJ1K
- Coconut Oil: http://amzn.to/2lBJRmn
- Olive Oil: http://amzn.to/2mtq5XL
- Sunny Isle JBCOil: http://amzn.to/2lKV9md
- Avocado Oil: http://amzn.to/2lS6kwy
- Almond Oil: http://amzn.to/2mlmwDY
- Tea Tree Oil: http://amzn.to/2lDL4b9
- Peppermint Oil: http://amzn.to/2lhPQdK
Let’s be Friends :
For business inquiries, sponsorship or reviews, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
FTC DISCLAIMER: Not Sponsored.