Welcome back to my blog Loves. Yesterday, 16/07/2017 was my 1st year blogniversary and I’m so excited. I look back to how far I’ve come and I’m grateful. I started this blog because I love to talk; about my lovely and beautiful kids, my natural hair, makeup, skincare, everything beauty and lifestyle and my blog gives me the perfect platform to share it with everyone. Thanks to you all that have been with me on this exciting journey. I really appreciate every one of you; for reading my blog posts, liking, leaving your comments, sharing and subscribing to my blog.
This one year is full of different experiences and it has inspired me to start a BLOGGING BASICS SERIES where I’ll be sharing my experiences in the blogging world with you all which I hope will motivate/inspire/help someone to take the bold step and start their own blog too and make it their mouthpiece to share whatever excites them with the Whole Wide World.
The first thing I’ll be sharing in this series is HOW TO START A FREE BLOG which was the first thing I research at length when I decided I wanted to start my blog.
How to Start a Free Blog in 5 Steps
In about 20 minutes, you can create your own blog and write your first blog post with these 5 easy steps:
- Choose your blogging platform
- Choose a domain name
- Choose a theme/customize your blog
- Write & publish your first post
- Promote your blog
1. CHOOSE YOUR BLOGGING PLATFORM: there are several free blogging platforms to choose from (blogger, wordpress, wix, tumblr, e.t.c.). The 2 most popular are wordpress and blogger.
- BLOGGER is owned by google. It’s easy to set up once you have a google account and you can monetize it through adsense like you monetize youtube videos. Its limitations are it doesn’t have a lot of theme to choose from and it may be too basic for some people. Your domain name will be something like his xxxx.blogspot.com
- WORDPRESS is very user friendly, and perfect for people who’ve never built a blog before. It has free & paid WordPress themes available to make your design look top-quality. They have super helpful support forum and it offers 45,000+ free plugins to help your blog run more smoothly and efficiently. Its limitations are you can’t monetize your blog on the free wordpress domain unless you choose their premium plan which you will pay for and then you have more control and monetizing power over your blog. Your domain name will look something like this xxxx.wordpress.com
I used the free wordpress when I first started blogging before I self-hosted, which I will be talking about self-hosting a blog in my next blog post.
Once you’ve chosen your free blogging platform, you can then choose a domain name.
2. CHOOSE A DOMAIN NAME: like I said depending on what platform you choose for your free blog, your domain name will look something like this xxxx.platform.com (xxxx.blogspot.com for blogger and xxxx.wordpress.com for wordpress.com).
Your domain name is important because:
- It’s your “first impression” to website visitors.
- It defines your brand.
With that in mind, you should put some thought into your domain name, but not too much
- Keep it concise.
- Easy to type and pronounce
3. CHOOSE A THEME/CUSTOMIZE YOUR BLOG: this is where you can get really creative and artistic. Your theme determines how your blog/its set up will look to the reader. Both blogger and wordpress has a number of theme to choose from.
The good news:
- You can do it all on your own.
- You can get a FREE theme that makes your blog look great.
- You can change it later (just don’t change it so often that your readers can’t keep up).
The bad news:
- You can spend a LONG time looking for the perfect theme.
- A theme is responsible for how your blog looks, so it’s an important decision.
In other words, a theme is like your car’s frame. It changes how the car looks, but doesn’t impact the features or performance too much.
Luckily for you, WordPress has thousands of great-looking themes already optimized to fit any brand, niche, or industry.
Here’s what to look for in a theme:
- Simplicity: Unclear design makes it difficult for readers to navigate your blog.
- Responsiveness: The theme needs to adjust its layout across different screen sizes and devices. In the highly mobile world we live in, responsiveness is a necessity.
- Ease of customization: It should be easy to customize the theme—otherwise, you’ll struggle every time you want to tweak something. Fortunately, many themes offer plenty of easy customization options.
Keep these factors in mind when choosing a theme. But most importantly, pick something you love and want your
4. WRITE & PUBLISH YOUR FIRST POST: One of the misconceptions about starting a blog is that you need to be a great writer to be successful. This is not true. People read blog sites to get a personal perspective on things. Most bloggers write in a very informal and conversational style. You don’t need to be an expert on your topic in order to have a successful blog. For example, readers of a cooking blog don’t want to read a textbook from a food scientist, they want to hear the experiences of someone who has actually cooked some real meals, mistakes and all.
To be successful as a blogger/writer, passion for your topic is the only requirement.
At its heart, blogging is about sharing your knowledge with the world. Choosing a topic that you are passionate about makes the process of starting a successful blog so much easier. Writing about more than one topic is totally fine too. As long as you are writing about things that you are genuinely interested in, your passion will shine through and keep your readers interested.
- You may want to include some graphics especially for beauty/lifestyle blogs. It makes reading it more interesting and catchy. You may link external post/urls in your post. You may embed youtube videos, e.t.c.
- Once you are done writing and proofreading; make sure you TAG you posts. This is what will increase its SEO (Search Engine Optimization) i.e use words you know people can search for/most likely search for that will lead them to that post which they may find helpful.
5. PROMOTE YOUR BLOG/BLOG POST(S): Start with your family and friends. Share your posts on your social media platforms; facebook, Instagram, twitter, pinterest, snapchat, e.t.c. This is great, because not only do your friends see the link, but if your friends share the link with their friends it automatically multiplies your readers. If you have created high-quality content on your blog then social media is a great way for your blog to go viral.
In addition to getting new readers to your blog, you will also want to make sure your current readers are coming back. This is where email marketing plays a big role. By collecting the email addresses of your visitors (with their permission of course), you can then notify them when you post something new on your blog. This keeps people coming back to your blog, which not only gives you more readers over time, it also allows you to build a closer relationship with your readers.
I hope you enjoy this post and find it helpful. Please let me know when you publish your first blog post, so I can read and support you. If you find this post helpful or if you have any question, let me know in the COMMENT SECTION below. Don’t forget to LIKE, SHARE & SUBSCRIBE via E-MAIL. Follow my blog via BLOGLOVIN or subscribe via E-MAIL and check out my Youtube Channel.
Let’s be Friends :
For business inquiries, sponsorship or reviews, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
FTC DISCLAIMER: Not Sponsored.