Welcome back to my blog Loves. Many new Bloggers have the question of whether to self-host their blog or use a free blogging platform. They both have their merits and demerits; it depends on what you are looking for. I already talked about HOW TO START A FREE BLOG IN 20 MINUTES in my first post in the Blogging Basics Series I started last week and this is the second post in that series. Like I said, a free blog is free though, but it has some limitations and there are some advantages a self-hosted blog has over a free blog.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FREE & SELF-HOSTED BLOG
|FREE BLOG||SELF-HOSTED BLOG|
Setting up a self-hosted blog sounds technical but it’s easy to do. And yes, it’s worth investing a little money so that you have full control over your website. Now, to self-host a your blog, you need to follow these 5 EASY STEPS
1. Get a Host: A web host is where your website lives. You own your website but you pay a small fee to the host to keep it online . There are several hosting companies. I use bluehost because a lot of people recommended it and so far it’s ok. They have 24/7 support and it was easy for me to use
2. Register a Domain: It’s easier if you get your domain name from your hosting company because you keep everything streamlined. It’s free with a hosting plan on Bluehost. There are other services like Godaddy.com where you pay a token for your domain name and you can transfer your domain name to the host.
3. Install WordPress: since you’ll be using your website to blog, you need a blogging software and the best is WordPress. It’s easy, quick, and free .
You can set up WordPress through Bluehost by installing the WordPress.org which is easy, just one click. WordPress.org is different from WordPress.com
4. Get a theme, Install Plugins & Widgets. When you start using WordPress, you get access to a bunch of beautiful blog designs (called “themes”), many of which are free. This is what will determine the layout of your website/blog. Plugins are the tools that help your blog have more features and function better. I recommend
- jetpack for wordpress
- google analytics
- google adsense
- disqus for comment
- facebook comment
- instagram feed
- pinterest pin
There are a lot more though, it depends on the features you want your blog to have. Widgets are an essential aspect of home screen customization. You can imagine them as “at-a-glance” views of your website. You can move widgets across your website, resize them and tailor the amount of information within a widget to your preference. This is where you’ll include your ad codes and most of your plugin codes or something.
5. Log in and start blogging. The URL for your dashboard (which redirects to the login page if you’re not logged in) is yourblogname.com/wp-admin/. Once logged in, click “Posts” on the left-hand sand, and then select “Add New.” Write a title and create some content for your new blog, and that’s it, you’re your own boss.
I hope you find this post helpful and enjoy it. If you do please lemme know in the COMMENT SECTION below. Please share your preferred web host company below and your tips for self-hosting a website. Don’t forget to LIKE, SHARE & SUBSCRIBE via E-MAIL. Follow my blog via BLOGLOVIN or subscribe via E-MAIL and check out my Youtube Channel.
- How to Start a Free Blog in 20 Minutes with 5 Easy Steps: http://bit.ly/2tiYIYt
- My First Blog Post: http://bit.ly/2kdHiHU
- About: http://bit.ly/2uqtuOR
Let’s be Friends :
For business inquiries, sponsorship or reviews, please email me: email@example.com
FTC DISCLAIMER: Not Sponsored.