This is the 4th of 4 THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THEIR HAIR. When it comes to natural hair, there are different type and shape of our curls which makes every here beautiful and unique. No hair is the same, although we may have similar curl pattern which brings about the hair typing. It’s not a way to discriminate against some hair types but a guide to know what product/style suits your hair type/curl pattern better so as to keep your hair looking its best, better embrace your hair and fall in love more with.
The most popular way which natural hair is categorised is invented by Andre Walker, a Celebrity Natural Hair Stylist who categorised natural hair into 4 categories and each category into sub categories based on curl pattern and shape. Hair in each category have similar characteristics which doesn’t mean your hair has to perfectly fit into that category and this doesn’t mean one hair type is better than the other. It’s very possible for one person to have more than one curl pattern.
The four(4) categories/type based on curl pattern and shape are
- Type 1 (Straight)- 1A, 1B, 1C
- Type2 (Wavy): 2A, 2B, 2C
- Type 3 (Curl): 3A, 3B, 3C
- Type 4 (Kinky/Coily): 4A, 4B, 4C
Type 1: are the silky straight hair
Type 2: has wavy curl pattern.
- 2A & 2B are S-shaped.
- 2B has more volume and more definition.
- 2C is more coarse and may have more actual curls.
- Light weight Stylers with little hold is enough to define your curls.
- 3A and 3B has a Springy S-loop pattern.
- 3C is more tightly coiled like a cork screw
- Medium hold gel/curl defining cream like Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie/Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream works perfectly in defining/enhancing your curls.
- Wash n go and finger coils are perfect for enhancing your curls
- 4A has more visible curl pattern.
- 4B has “Z” shape curls which are less define.
- 4C has little or no curl definition except curl defining creams/gels are used.
- Type 4 hair usually need curl defining creams/gel with strong hold like Eco Styler Gel, Cantu Shea Butter Twist & Lock Gel to help define our curls
- Styles like braid out/twistout help stretch our hair out a bit.
- How I Grow & Care for my 4C Hair: http://bit.ly/2lkdlWr
- My Natural Hair Products & Routine: http://bit.ly/2kcr6T4
- How to Moisturise Dry Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2jjr6Au
- My Deep Conditioning Routine: http://bit.ly/2kcypdy
- Protein Treatment for Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2jfVoEp
Let’s be Friends :
For business inquiries, sponsorship or reviews, please email me: [email protected]
DISCLAIMER: Not Sponsored.