Hi Loves, welcome back to my blog. Today’s post is a long awaited one which I hope will answer most of your questions about how I grow and care for my Natural Hair.
N.B: This is a COMPREHENSIVE post. Get yourself some snacks & tea. All related videos and used products are linked below.
Background on My Hair: I decided to go natural in 2014. My last relaxer was in September 2014, which was when I started transitioning to natural hair (stopped putting relaxer on my hair and growing out my natural hair). I transitioned for 20 months, then I cut off the relaxed ends in May .
My Hair Type & Length: My hair type is 4c; which means it is tightly coiled with little curl definition. Presently, this is my hair length
HOW I CARE FOR MY HAIR
Wash day is the most important day in my hair care routine. I always make sure to wash my hair at least every 2 weeks. At times, I do have to wash it weekly.
N.B.: All products reviews, blog posts and videos mentioned, are linked below.
1. CLEANSE: I shampoo my hair with a clarifying shampoo once a month; with a moisturising shampoo once in 2 weeks and I co-wash (wash with a conditioner) every other week if need be.
PRODUCTS I USE / RECOMMEND
- Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo (clarifying shampoo). Review here
- DIY African Black Soap Shampoo (clarifying shampoo). How to here
- Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Restore Shampoo (moisturising shampoo). Review here
- Tresemme Botanique Conditioner (to co-wash). Review here
2. DETANGLE: to be honest, natural hair is STUBBORN and hard to manage. This is the most tasking and at times tiring or frustrating but NECESSARY. It simply means separating or getting rid of all the knots and tangles. I always detangle my hair in the shower with a generous amount of conditioner using my hands first, then a wide tooth comb. I make sure to use a good conditioner or deep conditioner with great slip (meaning after applying it to my hair, it makes sliding my hands or comb through it easier). Check out how I detangle my hair post here.
PRODUCTS I USE / RECOMMEND
- Tresemme Botanique Conditioner. Review here
- Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner
3. DEEP CONDITION: I deep condition my hair EVERY 2 WEEKS. This is VERY IMPORTANT. It provides hair with necessary nourishments it needs to retain length, more manageable, more pliable and avoid breakage. There are a lot of good deep conditioners on the market and if you are like me that enjoy mixing things, check out my DIY deep conditioner posts and videos here
Every 6 weeks or 3 months, as need be, I do a protein treatment on my hair. I use my DIY Protein Hair Mask, post & video here
- Shea Moisture deep conditioners
- Cantu Shea Butter deep treatment masque
4. MOISTURISE: Moisturising is very important. this is what will prevent your hair from drying out, tangling up and susceptible to breakage or damage. To moisturise my hair I use the LOC, LCO or LOC methods which simply means order in which I’ll apply my products. I always apply warm water to my hair to wet it before apply any moisturiser. This will open up my hair cuticles and make it absorb products better.
- LCO means Liquid Cream Oil,
- LOC means Liquid Oil Cream,
- LO means Liquid Oil.
My Favourite Moisturisers are
- Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-in; review here
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in; review here
- Cantu Shea Butter Coconut curling cream; review here
– For OIL , to seal in all the moisture applied and keep my hair moisturised for longer without feeling dry, I use Olive oil, Almond Oil or my DIY Whipped Shea Butt(which contains shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, JBCOil, Almond oil, Tea tree and Peppermint Oil). Check out my DIY Whipped Shea Butter Post & Video here.
Check out how to moisturise Natural Hair Detailed Post & Video here
5. STYLE: After applying my products, I then apply my styler which is usually gel, then I braid, twist on corn row my hair, which I take down the next day or couple of days later to get my curl definition and style. At times I do wash n go.
STYLERS I RECOMMEND
- Shea Moisture Shea & Cupuacu Frizz Defence Gel-cream (Video here)
- Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie (Video here)
- Cantu Shea Butter Twist & Lock Gel (Video here)
- Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream (Video here)
- Cantu Shea Butter Curl Activator Cream (Video here)
- Flat Twist Out with Eco-styler Gel (Video here)
That is all I do, no special vitamin or product.
My wash process including styling takes an average of 1 – 2 hours because I have to leave the deep conditioner or pre-poo in for at least 30 minutes.
I work in sections when washing, detangling or styling my hair. This makes it easier.
I place my hair in desired styles throughout the week without adding any product. I only add Whipped Shea Butter and edge control to my edges, to keep it moisturised and laid. I use
- Eco-styler Gel or
- Shea Moisture JBCO Edge Treatment.
MY GO-TO STYLES ARE
- Side-part Afro
- High Puff
- Sleek Low bun
6. TRIM: I trim my hair every 6 months to get rid of the raggedy ends. How I trim my hair post here.
7. PROTECTIVE STYLE: On my lazy days or for style switch up, I put my hair in protective styles such as corn rows, braids, crochet braids, and head wraps
I hope this post is detailed enough and answer all your questions. Please check out all the links to posts or videos below for more detail. If you have more question, please leave it in theCOMMENT SECTION below, LIKE, and SHARE my post. Follow my blog via BLOGLOVIN or subscribe via E-MAIL and check out my Youtube Channel.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
- DIY Moisturising Deep Conditioner/Hair Mask: http://bit.ly/2jNHsD5
- Protein Treatment & DIY Protein Hair Mask: http://bit.ly/2jfVoEp
- How to Cleanse/Wash Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2lSU9Qm
- How to Detangle Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2ljuY4I
- How to Moisturise Dry Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2jjr6Au
For business inquiries, sponsorship or reviews, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Let’s be Friends :
FTC DISCLAIMER : This is not a sponsored post.
Shop My Favourite Natural Hair Products & Oils
- Dudu Osun as Shampoo: http://amzn.to/2nOj2JT
- Tresemme Botanique Shampoo: http://amzn.to/2oCT0NY
- Tresemme Botanique Conditioner: http://amzn.to/2oIkXBc
- Shea Moisture JBCO Shampoo: http://amzn.to/2oIsY99
- Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-in Conditioner: http://amzn.to/2o9TbQj
- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie: http://amzn.to/2mm8DZ3
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in: http://amzn.to/2m3Q214
- Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream: http://amzn.to/2tZlod9
- Cantu Shea Butter Twist & Lock Gel: http://amzn.to/2ujdt9R
- Cantu Shea Butter Moisturising Curl Activator Cream: http://amzn.to/2snkncz
- Eco-styler Gel: http://amzn.to/2nXQSOa
- Raw Shea Butter: http://amzn.to/2mlkJ1K
- Coconut Oil: http://amzn.to/2lBJRmn
- Olive Oil: http://amzn.to/2mtq5XL
- Avocado Oil: http://amzn.to/2lS6kwy
- Almond Oil: http://amzn.to/2mlmwDY
- Tea Tree Oil: http://amzn.to/2lDL4b9
- Peppermint Oil: http://amzn.to/2lhPQdK