Hi Loves, welcome back to my blog. I decided to update this post since some things and products have changed in my natural hair routine. Today’s post is a long awaited one which I hope will answer most of your questions about how I grow and care for my Natural Hair.
N.B: This is a COMPREHENSIVE post. Get yourself some snacks & tea. All related videos/blog post and used products are linked below. Please don’t forget to LIKE, SHARE leave me nice COMMENTS & FOLLOW/SUBSCRIBE to my blog.
Background on My Hair: I decided to go natural in 2014. My last relaxer was in September 2014, which was when I started transitioning to natural hair (stopped putting relaxer on my hair and growing out my natural hair). I transitioned for 20 months, then I cut off the relaxed ends in May 2016.
My Hair Type & Length: My hair type is 4c; which means it is tightly coiled with little curl definition. Presently, this is my hair length at its shrinkiest and blown out.
HOW I CARE FOR MY HAIR
Wash day is the most important day in my hair care routine. I always make sure to wash my hair at least every 2 weeks and at times, every week.
N.B.: All products reviews, blog posts and videos mentioned, are linked below.
1. CLEANSE: I shampoo my hair twice. I use a clarifying shampoo; my DIY African Black Soap Shampoo to cleanse & treat my scalp (prevent any scalp condition) and promote hair growth. I follow up with any moisturising shampoo.
- I follow up with any of these moisturising shampoos.
- To Co-wash my hair, I use the Cantu Shea Butter Complete Conditioning Co-wash. Review here
2. TREAT: I treat my hair with either Rice water or Tea rinse to prevent/reduce breakage and sheddings.
3. DEEP CONDITION: I deep condition my hair EVERY 2 WEEKS. This is VERY IMPORTANT. It provides hair with necessary nourishment it needs to retain length, more manageable, more pliable and avoid breakage. There are a lot of good deep conditioners on the market but I love to mix my hair mask myself.
- Check here for my DIY Moisturising Hair mask. I use Avocado/& Banana, Honey, Olive oil, Coconut oil & JBCOil. At times, I use a regular conditioner or deep conditioner as a base.
- or any of these store boughts.
- Or I mix them together and add honey and my DIY Shea Butter Mix.
Click HERE for my deep conditioning post.
4. DETANGLE: to be honest, natural hair is STUBBORN and hard to manage. This is the most tasking and at times tiring or frustrating but NECESSARY. It simply means separating or getting rid of all the knots and tangles. I always detangle my hair in the shower with a generous amount of conditioner using my hands first, then a wide tooth comb. I make sure to use a good conditioner or deep conditioner with great slip (meaning after applying it to my hair, it makes sliding my hands or comb through it easier). Check out how I detangle my hair post here.
5. MOISTURISE: Moisturising is very important. this is what will prevent your hair from drying out, tangling up and susceptible to breakage or damage. To moisturise my hair I use the LCO or LOC methods which simply means order in which I’ll apply my products.
- LCO means Liquid Cream Oil,
- LOC means Liquid Oil Cream,
- LO means Liquid Oil.
My favourite method is the LCO method, I first apply warm water to my hair to damp it before applying any moisturiser. This will open up my hair cuticles and make it absorbs products better. Then I apply one of my favourite moisturisers or I combine them, I seal the moisture in with any oil I have or my DIY Whipped Shea Butter.
See this post on How to Properly Moisturise Natural Hair.
6. STYLE: After applying my products, I then apply my styler which is usually gel, then I braid, twist on corn row my hair, which I take down the next day or couple of days later to get my curl definition and style. At times I do wash n go.
STYLERS I RECOMMEND
- Shea Moisture Shea & Cupuacu Frizz Defence Gel-cream (Video here)
- Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie (Video here)
- Cantu Shea Butter Twist & Lock Gel (Video here)
- Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream (Video here)
- Cantu Shea Butter Curl Activator Cream (Video here)
- Flat Twist Out with Eco-styler Gel (Video here)
That is all I do, no special vitamin or product.
My wash process including styling takes an average of 1 – 2 hours because I have to leave the deep conditioner in for at least 30 minutes.
I work in sections when washing, detangling or styling my hair. This makes it easier.
I place my hair in desired styles throughout the week without adding any product. I only add Whipped Shea Butter or Olive oil and edge control to my edges, to keep it moisturised and laid. I use
- Eco-styler Gel or
- Shea Moisture JBCO Edge Treatment.
MY GO-TO STYLES ARE
- Side-part Afro
- High Puff;
- Sleek Low bun
7. TRIM: I trim my hair every 6 months to get rid of the raggedy ends. How I trim my hair post here.
8. PROTECTIVE STYLE: On my lazy days or for style switch up, I put my hair in protective styles such as corn rows, braids, crochet braids, and head wraps
I hope this post is detailed enough and answer all your questions. Please check out all the links to posts or videos below for more detail. If you have more question, please leave it in the COMMENT SECTION below, LIKE, and SHARE my post. Follow my blog via BLOGLOVIN or subscribe via E-MAIL and check out my Youtube Channel.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
- How to Cleanse/Wash Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2lSU9Qm
- DIY Moisturising Deep Conditioner/Hair Mask: http://bit.ly/2jNHsD5
- Protein Treatment & DIY Protein Hair Mask: http://bit.ly/2jfVoEp
- How to Detangle Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2ljuY4I
- How to Moisturise Dry Natural Hair: http://bit.ly/2jjr6Au
For business inquiries, sponsorship or reviews, please email me: [email protected]
Let’s be Friends :
DISCLAIMER: This is not a sponsored post.
Shop My Favourite Natural Hair Products & Oils
- Dudu Osun as Shampoo: http://amzn.to/2nOj2JT
- Shea Moisture JBCO Shampoo: https://amzn.to/2szE9Uz
- Shea Moisture 100% Coconut Oil Shampoo: https://amzn.to/2kHRC9g
- Shea Moisture 100% Coconut Oil Conditioner: https://amzn.to/2ugrdHh
- Tesemme Botanique Shampoo: https://amzn.to/2kLsPAU
- Tresemme Botanique Conditioner: https://amzn.to/2JdmVmM
- Cantu Shea Butter Co-wash: http://amzn.to/2EyRKEj
- Cantu Shea Butter Deep treatment Masque: https://amzn.to/2KCxyjg
- Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-in: http://amzn.to/2mULjOG
- Shea Moisture C&H Curl Enhancing Smoothie: http://amzn.to/2zanOqF
- Shea Moisture Cupuacu Frizz Defence Gel-cream: http://amzn.to/2nFSFL9
- Shea Moisture Argan Oil Blowout Crème: https://amzn.to/2szFPxe
- Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream: http://amzn.to/2tZlod9
- Cantu Shea Butter Curl Activator Cream: http://amzn.to/2snkncz
- Cantu Shea Butter Twist & Lock Gel: http://amzn.to/2ujdt9R
- Raw Shea Butter: http://amzn.to/2mlkJ1K
- Honey: https://amzn.to/2LiAu5a
- Coconut Oil: http://amzn.to/2lBJRmn
- Olive Oil: http://amzn.to/2mtq5XL
- JBCOil: http://amzn.to/2lKV9md
- Tea Tree Oil: http://amzn.to/2lDL4b9
- Peppermint Oil: http://amzn.to/2lhPQdK